Thursday, October 1, 2009

Get Up, Stand Up

It's completely expected (as it should be) to give your seat up on a bus to the elderly or disabled. Is it also expected for a man to give his seat up to a woman? In decades past when gender equality was more of an emerging idea (or nonexistent), it seems like a man giving his seat to a woman would just be an expected, everyday act.

It goes without saying that it is not pleasant to have to stand on the bus, especially in a commuter situation like mine where the ride is about an hour, not just a quick trip from Oakland to Downtown. Of course, standing for this ride is unpleasant for both men and women alike (though if you're a woman wearing pointy shoes with towering heels, the level of discomfort may be a smidge higher).

I've certainly seen men on my bus give their seats up for women--not many, but there are some who will do it every time. For me, however, it's never happened. Maybe I'm too young and am expected to pay my dues. Or maybe this is just a fading practice that's happening more and more infrequently and I've missed my opportunity.

So to answer my question, should a woman expect a man to give her his seat? No. Not this century--but maybe that's okay. Gender equality is more comforting than a cushy seat anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment